Make Safe By Removing Health Hazards


Environmental Hazards








Mold has the potential to cause negative health effects for children. It's also an indicator of dampness and possible structural issues. Avoid contaminated buildings and water as much as possible. Exposure to mold can cause:


Sinus Problems


Stuffy Nose


Asthma Attack

Shortness of Breath


Possibly Life-Threatening in Those with Weakened Immune Systems

Child Care Center Mold Clean Up After a Disaster

Protect your mouth and nose.

Wear at least an N-95 respirator mask.

Wear protective gloves.

Wear goggles.

Use a portable dehumidifier and fan in conjunction with an A/C unit to dry out the facility.

Shower and change your clothes upon completion of the cleanup.

** The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the CDC recommend that trained mold remediation professionals do the mold cleanup. **Remember, disturbing dry, moldy materials can release large amounts of spores and debris into the air.

9 Tips to Clean Up Mold

Don’t Mix Cleaners

If you use cleaning products, DO NOT mix cleaning products together. DO NOT mix bleach and ammonia because it can create toxic vapors.

Scrub Surfaces

Clean with water and a detergent. Remove all mold you can see. Dry right away.


Take it out! Anything that was wet with flood water and can’t be cleaned and dried completely within 24 to 48 hours should be taken outside. Take photos of the discarded items for filing insurance claims.

Dry It Up

Dry your home and everything in it as quickly as possible – within 24 hours if you can.

Protect Yourself

Put on personal protective equipment to protect your eyes, nose, mouth, and skin. (gloves, masks, goggles)

Don’t Cover It Up.
Remove It.

Painting or caulking over mold will not prevent mold from growing. Fix the water problem completely and clean up all the mold before you paint or caulk.

Air It Out

Open all doors and windows when you are working, and leave as many open as you safely can when you leave

Dry It Up

Dry your home and everything in it as quickly as possible – within 24 hours if you can.

For Detailed Information

Reference EPA guidelines for detailed instructions on mold clean-up.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

CO is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that is highly poisonous and can be deadly within minutes.

Opening doors or windows will not prevent CO buildup.

Always enlist your gas company to turn on the gas after a disaster. DO NOT do it yourself.

Check fuels for blockage by debris before using furnaces, hot water heaters, and wood stoves.

Know the Signs of CO Poisoning






Loss of Consciousness

Impaired Vision


Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Your Childcare Center

DO NOT  burn charcoal or gas grills inside a building, garage, or tent.

NEVER use generators, pressure washers, or other gas-powered tools inside a childcare center.

Install battery-powered CO alarms.

Test your CO alarms frequently in your childcare center and replace dead batteries.

If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak, get to fresh air RIGHT AWAY. DO NOT DELAY!

Cleaners, Disinfectants,
Pesticides, Propane: TIPS

Keep children away from leaking or spilled chemicals after a disaster.

DO NOT dump cleaners, paint, or other chemicals down drains, storm sewers, or toilets.

DO NOT mix cleaners and disinfectants or use them together. Combinations of some types of substances can be deadly.

DO NOT attempt to move propane tanks you might find. They’re dangerous and can cause a fire or explosion.

After the disaster, DO NOT combine chemicals from leaking or damaged containers as this may produce dangerous or violent reactions. Clean up and discard chemicals separately.

Asbestos Overview

Buildings constructed before 1970 are more likely to contain asbestos.

If you suspect asbestos containing materials in your building, DO NOT disturb them!

Louisiana has regulations that govern the removal and management of asbestos-containing materials after a natural disaster.

What is Lead Dust?

Lead is a highly toxic metal which produces a range of adverse health effects, particularly in young children.

Disturbance or removal of materials containing lead-based paint may result in elevated concentrations of lead dust in the air.

Facilities built before 1978 may have paint containing lead.

Lead dust can come in from outside the facility.

Lead Poisoning in Children

There are NO safe levels of lead in the blood.

Lead interferes with the development and function of body organs, particularly the kidneys, red blood cells, and central nervous system.

In children, lead poisoning can cause restlessness, hearing loss, loss of IQ, learning or behavioral problems, developmental delays, and brain, liver, and kidney damage.